How to impress guests on a weeknight: Chicken Marsala; affordable, easy, delicious, light and yet hearty. It seems as if everyone has their own variation of this popular Italian chicken dish. From adding prosciutto and cheese on top to make Scallopini-style Chicken Marsala, to breading the chicken and making a thick cream sauce. Mine is simple, and my mothers recipe. I like to serve it with risotto, mashed potatoes, or, when I am feeling healthier sauteed greens. If you cannot purchase chicken cutlets ask your butcher to butterfly boneless-skinless chicken breasts and pound them between two pieces of wax paper using a meat mallet.
*Recipe feeds 2 with leftovers*
2 lbs. Chicken Cutlets (see note above)
½ cup All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp. Dried Sage (divided x2)
2 tsp. Garlic Powder (divided x2)
8 oz. sliced Portabella Mushrooms
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 eggs (Beaten)
1 cup Marsala Wine (divided x2)
1 stick Butter
½ cup Chicken Broth
1 Medium Onion (sliced thin)
3 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 F
- Prepare dredging station by placing beaten eggs in small bowl and on a plate; mixing 1 part of the sage, garlic powder and salt and pepper with the flour.
- If necessary, pound chicken breasts till they are thin.
- Coat chicken in egg wash followed by dredging in flour mixture. Place breaded chicken on a clean plate.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or cast iron pan on the stove top with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and ¼ stick of butter.
- When pan is hot, place breaded cutlets into pan and cook on each side until finished; about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from pan and place in oven-safe dish and place in oven to keep warm.
- Lower heat on stovetop.
- Add remaining Butter and 2 tbsp. of Olive Oil to the pan the chicken was cooked in.
- Add garlic and onion and saute.
- When onion is translucent, add in mushrooms, chicken stock, remaining dried sage and garlic powder.
- Cook mushrooms in chicken stock for 2 minutes, add Marsala wine and cover.
- Cook sauce on low for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove lid, increase heat, and simmer sauce down until it is reduced by half.
- Remove chicken from oven add chicken to pan with Marsala sauce and lightly spoon sauce over chicken.
- Serve chicken on plate with more sauce over the top and garnish with chopped chives.