This recipe is middle-ground between a Stuffed-Green-Pepper and a Jalapeño Popper. Poblanos offer a great “bite” with a less heat than a jalapeño, but more spice than a green pepper.
4 Poblano peppers of similar size
1 medium onion (diced)
2 Chorizo links (uncased)
1 Tsp. Paprika
½ Cup shredded cheddar split into two ¼ cup portions.
2 Cups raw spinach
- Preheat oven to 450
- Slice Poblanos in half length-wise and remove the seeds and spines.
- Lay Poblanos in casserole dish and lightly drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place Cheddar Slices in each Poblano half.
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté diced onions in olive oil until slightly translucent.
- Add chorizo sausage into the onions along with paprika.
- Cook the chorizo-onion stuffing until sausage is cooked through.
- Add spinach into the stuffing and wilt down. Mix first ¼ cup of cheese into the stuffing.
- Let stuffing cool for five minutes. When cooled, scoop into Poblanos and cover with shredded cheese.
9. Carefully pour water into the bottom of the casserole dish to barely cover the Poblanos.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes until cheese is lightly melted and the poblanos are soft
- Uncover the poblanos and place back in oven to brown the cheese (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with blue cheese dressing and hot sauce for a game-day treat!